Sunday, July 2, 2017

in the face of adversity, there is nothing wrong with a little hope.....

It was just over 2 years ago that I was diagnosed with lung cancer.  Based on statistics, I shouldn't be alive.  I should be much sicker, but thanks to immunotherapy, I have been able to live, work and be fairly normal in my existence.  In fact, people are continually telling me how good I look, to the point that it kinda drives me crazy.  But, I will admit that I would rather look and more importantly feel as good as I can because it continues to give me hope.

I have arrived at retirement.  Friday, June 30 was my last day of work in local government.  Thank god I am able to retire at age 55 with medical benefits and a good pension.  Yet another reason to stay positive.  During these last 2 years, it was the job and the people that I worked with that were a great source of strength, humor, and general support.  Going to work was the one constant in a swirl of medical craziness, and for that I will be forever grateful.  I was very apprehensive and stressed out during the final few weeks, as my post working future seemed to be a big gray void.  That final day was so special and emotional, but I realized something on that last drive home, I am ready to begin my next chapter!  In fact, I have to admit that I haven't stopped smiling for the past 2 days.  RETIREMENT IS AWESOME - BRING IT ON!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment